Saturday, June 29, 2013

Liquid Sidewalk Chalk

Liquid sidewalk chalk is super easy to make and you can use it in multiple ways. Normally when I whip up this batch, I divide it into a muffin pan and mix in some colours. Then we bring it outside and paint the sidewalk and outdoor furniture. But this time we wanted to try something new and decided to use icing bottles for squirting the liquid chalk instead. 

The Recipe
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup water
liquid watercolours or food colouring


I scooped the cornstarch into the bottles, then poured the water over it.


I put the covers back on and shook it up until it was thoroughly mixed. Then I removed the covers, added the colours, then replaced the covers and shook it again.


Then they are ready to use! (My recipe is only a suggestion, feel free to use more or less of the ingredients to fit the consistency you desire. I filled the remainder of the bottles with extra water because I wanted these ones to be slightly watery, so they would be able to easily squirt it out.) I chose red and blue food colouring, but the red resulted in pink.


Honestly, this was just to test out how much they enjoyed playing with liquid sidewalk chalk squirters over the usual muffin tin chalk paints. These did not last long. They had so much fun squirting them out that they were gone in minutes. And it had just finished raining, so the still wet pavement made the liquid chalk spread out quickly.


They squirted here. They squirted there. They squirted everywhere!


They really enjoyed running over to each other to squirt the others puddle of chalk so that the colours would swirl together (they stayed clearly pink and blue and didn't mix, as you can see below).


It's was so much fun watching him try to figure out how to squirt it. :)



Needless to say, this was super fun! I can't wait to try this again using a thicker mixture now that I know they enjoy playing with it. :)

{If you enjoyed this post, please consider following me on Facebook and Pinterest. Thank you!}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...